This Master programme offers a unique multi-disciplinary, flexible, and integrated curriculum via two specializations:
(1) “News media of refugee flows”, which will focus on the need to gain a more in depth knowledge on news coverage of refugee / migration flows over the last decade in Greece and in the Western Balkan countries, the relationship between new technologies and journalism, the formation of European and national policies on social inclusion, the exploitation of social networks by international organizations, host countries, the use of social networks sites by the target group (refugees / immigrants), the ways of ICT use from both sides (host and country of origin), human networks and their influences, social solidarity networks, the various movements at national and European level and the way they are presented by the mass media at national, European and international level;
and (2) “Communication management of refugee/migration flows”, which will present cases related to European and national policies for the socio-economic integration of refugees /immigrants, their presentation in the mass media, the possibilities of raising funds and presenting good practices, as well as address issues of public relations, two-way communication process and development of relationships between the organizations and communities (refugees/migrants) and analyze ways of communicating the problems and barriers regarding the inclusion or refoulement where it is necessary and the ways and techniques of approaching such subjects will be analyzed within the course.
Both specializations actively facilitate the interaction with academics from Europe and beyond, established professionals, such as journalists, reporters, public employees, and representatives of NGOs active in the field. A summer school held in Mytilene on the Greek island Lesvos provides students with the unique opportunity to research and exchange with NGOs active in the Hotspot via a range of workshops, seminars and events. It will offer students with personal and professional competencies and experiences required in the field of media, research and refugee/migration management.
|Απευθύνεται σε απόφοιτους των τμημάτων:
After an intial evaluation of the application material, shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal interview and those residing outside Athens and abroad will be interviewed via Skype. The final selection will be based on the following criteria:
- The overall grade of the postgraduate degree/diploma: 20%
- Adequate knowledge of the English language: 15%
- Possession of a second degree and/or other postgraduate degrees in a subject related to the IPP or relevant publications: 15%
- Related specialization to the field of the IPP, research activity and/or professional experience (participation in conferences, participation in research or educational programmes): 20%
- Personal interview by the committee in order to ascertain the academic experience, performance, and interests of the candidates and is evaluated on a 1-10 scale: 30%